Sunday, January 31, 2010

Valentine’s for Aids ~ Silent Art Auction

 

Twitterpated
graphite, ink, watercolor, colored pencil
8"x10"

Yesterday I nervously submitted my art work for this year's Valentine's for Aids Silent Art Auction. I say nervously because it will be the first time I have submitted a piece that wasn't a handbound book. This will also be the first time I have unleashed a combination of my two different styles of drawing: the very photo realistic pencil drawing & my more whimsical ink/watercolor/colored pencil style that I reserve for my visual journals. I am not sure how it will go over in the Boise area, I can not begin to guess what others are going to like or hate. It might turn out to be a total flop... or someone may even bid on it. I guess I will find out come Wednesday.

This year rather than a book, I decided to draw an image of a concept I have been toying with for a few months. The idea of loving and wanting another without the love being reciprocated or perhaps even acknowledged. Dispite these circumstances, she has a hard time letting go of the harbored feelings she carries so close to her heart.

This is the 3rd time I have participated in the event. The first time was back in 2007. I find it ironic that all three pieces include a black bird. There is just something about the crow and raven that fascinate me, I was once told that the crow was one of my animal totems. Makes perfect sense to me. The redwing black bird has been a favorite of mine since childhood. Everytime I hear one singing and chattering I am immediately transported back to the country fields that surrounded me as a child.Their song holds a great comfort for me.

Hearts Wishes
mixed media, hand bound photo album
2007




  

Fly Away Home
mixed media, hand bound book, hand made paper
2009




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...