Wednesday, January 16, 2013

31 Days of Sketching Challenge

It has been a long time since I have worked in my daily visual journal. 2012 was a challenging year... watching, waiting, searching, unexpected growth, physical healing, what feels like a death and now rebirth of the soul. I couldn't bare to put pen/brush to paper and look at it all. I was too vulnerable, felt too raw and exposed ... I am inspired right now. I can't seem to have enough alone time. Enough time in the studio, processing, and sitting with myself.

I was given the challenge by a friend to sketch everyday this month... so I grabbed the nearest small sketchbook (crappy paper and all) and began my 31 Days of Sketching Challenge. I started late and don't have enough time in the day to work on these every day, regardless here is what I've been working on the past few weeks.

I am attempting to quickly get all the ideas, concepts, thoughts and "stuff" out of my head and onto paper.... an attempt to find those snippets that mean something important and need to be worked on in depth in my other journals. Perhaps larger on canvas.




Days 3-4: "Fear of losing ones self"

working through some ideas/thumbnails for an entry into my Book of Dreams visual journal. dreamt of a salamander and toad. took me all day to decipher the symbolism, but I hear my subconscious loud and clear.




Day 5: 

though not a "sketch" I am prepping pages for new visual journal work and adding to incomplete pages/spreads... so I am kind of sketching in a way...




Day 6-7: "Love Deeply"

Working through some new bird imagery. This is a bleeding heart dove... I recently did a monotype print of one of these birds and am really drawn to them right now. SO, she will probably show up again.




Day 8: "old skin"

Working up some more concepts that have been mulling around in my brain for far too long.




Day 9: "muscle & bone memories"

I've been trying to figure out how to work this idea out on the page... going to work out a few more ideas over the next couple days... bare with me.



Day 13 or 14: "Truths be told..."


Looked up and this is the reflection staring back at me in the window. My mind was heavy in thought. Finished this up with some journaling off to the side.





Day 15: "ability"

this quote stuck with me most of the day...







3 comments:

Sandi said...

Lisa, strong and thought provoking shares, thanks so much, you are definitely one the path to healing body and soul, hugs

Kay said...

Lisa,
It is so good to see that you are blogging again and SKETCHING! I am also delighted that you are coming to Phoenix again to Art Unraveled. You are a wonderful teacher - looking forward to seeing you again and taking your classes. Kay

Lisa Cheney said...

Hi Sandi,
Yes, so much soul work has been going on this past year. Trying hard to stay on the path.

Hi Kay!!
I am thrilled to be going to AU again this year =)
Bringing my mom again, she too had a wonderful time. Hugs to you! xoxo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...